|呢篇文或者呢段要 翻譯（或者由 meta:EasyTimeline加料）。|
EasyTimeline 係 mediaWiki 嘅一種功能，用維基文來做幅圖。幅圖可以係一維嘅圖（水平或者垂直都得）或者兩維嘅。
Three examples of what is possible. For more extensive examples see
- WW II - Pacific Theatre
- History of Computing
- Tour de France Sieger
- Vocal and instrumental pitch ranges (a nice example of a diagram that is not a timeline at all)
- Complete timeline of Macintosh models
- English Monarchs
Just to show you that the script syntax is reasonably intuitive: here is the script for the image to the left: Soviet Leaders.
# All measures are in pixels ImageSize = width:160 height:550 PlotArea = left:50 right:0 bottom:10 top:10 AlignBars = justify DateFormat = yyyy Period = from:1919 till:1991 TimeAxis = orientation:vertical ScaleMajor = unit:year increment:5 start:1920 # there is no automatic collision detection, # so shift texts up or down manually to avoid overlap Define $dx = 25 # shift text to right side of bar PlotData= bar:Leaders color:red width:25 mark:(line,white) align:left fontsize:S from:start till:1922 shift:($dx,15) text:Vladimir~Ilyich~[[Lenin]] from:1922 till:1953 shift:($dx,5) text:[[Stalin|Josef~Stalin]] from:1953 till:1964 shift:($dx,5) text:Nikita~[[Khrushchev]] from:1964 till:1982 shift:($dx,5) text:Leonid~[[Brezhnev]] from:1982 till:1984 shift:($dx,-12) text:Yuri~[[Andropov]] from:1984 till:1985 shift:($dx,4) text:Konstantin~[[Chernenko]] fontsize:XS from:1985 till:end shift:($dx,10) text:Mikhail~[[Gorbachev]]
Double and single brackets can be used like on wikipedia, language prefix is possible, e.g. [[de:foo|more about foo]]. Single brackets for external links are also supported.
Great Timelines Elsewhere[編輯]
Here are two great sites that may serve as inspiration, it would be very easy to recreate most of those timelines verbatim and with roughly similar layout with EasyTimeline (not yet with images but that may change), but I'm afraid that would be 'not done'.
- Hyperhistory e.g. click on button 'people' left, then on 'special lifelines', right.
- I hope we will have a set like  in a years time (click on full size image for any map), possibly even with images. The main effort will be to gather all info without snatching everything from here (most of these maps are based exclusively on data from Britannica).
EasyTimeline does not yet support unicode. This will be added later. So better not use it on unicode enabled Wikipedias yet.
Aug 2004: Minimal UTF-8 support has been added, meaning that EasyTimeline now recognizes UTF-8 encoded characters. However only extended ASCII accented characters can be shown and not even all of them (rendering package Ploticus has an incomplete ASCII set in its internal font). So full unicode support will have to wait until external font support has been added (planned late in 2004, other Wikipedia projects take priority right now).
For first time users EasyTimeline may not seem that easy at all. As with all script languages it takes some getting used to. Also the syntax description may be a bit bewildering due to its sheer size. Fortunately many elements of the script language are optional.
The 'Easy' in EasyTimeline conveys the message that once a timeline exists it is not so hard to understand, enhance or correct. Also translating for use on another wikipedia it is pretty straightforward.
- What most editors did so far: find a timeline that is similar to what you want to accomplish and use this as a model. This will get you started.
- Put each timeline on a separate Template page: this makes it easier to edit, faster to preview, possible to include it in several pages
- Feel free to ask Erik Zachte (the author of EasyTimeline) for help or advice.
- Presentation about EasyTimeline at Wikimania 2005 (abstract, slides, speaker notes)
- WikiTimeScale as a proposal for realizing timescales for wikipedia articles externally.
- See this: Installing EasyTimeline
- DHTML-based AJAXy widget for visualizing time-based events
- Timeline by XYLOGUE
- WikiTimeScale - wiki for timelines
- WikiTimeline - ditto